Thursday, June 2, 2011

Trying to Save Lives from Atop This Soapbox

In my spare time, I’m a health nerd. This is partially a result of growing up on a mountain, in a strongly organic community, and also a byproduct of my entertainment habit. So I do a lot of research. I know how many calories are in most things at Starbucks, beyond the scope of what’s listed on the menu.

A former Diet Coke junkie, I now stand firmly against artificial sweeteners. In cutting them out of my life, I’ve noticed remarkable, positive changes in my:

- weight (lower and stable)

- moods (even)

- energy (abundant)

- ability to concentrate

- carbohydrate cravings

- blood sugar stability

When I would ingest something that contained an artificial sweetener, I would instantly feel pain in my stomach and my head. Inevitably, I would require sugar later, and grow monstrous in my hunger. The few calories avoided in my drink were tripled later. It directly assaulted my equilibrium. It is no longer a part of my life. Artificial Sweeteners are neurotoxins, linked to a rise in:

- Cancer

- Obesity

- Multiple Sclerosis

- ADD/ADHD

- Seizures, etc.

As I made this shift, I became aware of the popularity of “Skinny” options at Starbucks. Anytime you order something “skinny” or “light,” if sugar-free syrup is available, you’re getting it. So I took it upon myself to ask every customer I encountered if they wanted the sugar-free option. To my surprise and delight, a majority of people didn’t.

Artificial Sweeteners may enter your system by the following mediums at Starbucks:

1. Splenda™, Sweet n’ Low™, Equal™, Stevia™ (no healthier than the rest)

2. Sugar-Free Syrups:

a. Vanilla

b. Hazelnut

c. Caramel

d. Cinnamon Dolce

3. “Skinny” beverages with any of the above flavors

4. “Lite” Frappuccinos™

5. Canned Doubleshot Lite™

You can still save calories and fat by choosing non-fat/skim milk (they are the same) in any drink, even Frappuccinos. Avoid whipped cream and cut 50-80 calories out of your order. Try your drink with fewer pumps of syrup. Each pump contains about 30 calories. Often, drinks are just as flavorful and satisfying with less syrup than standard. Adding espresso will also cut down on your caloric load.

If you’re concerned about your health, and want to give your body the best fuel possible, consider my advice. Sugar-free products have grown immensely popular, but the health of this nation is not improving. Stay informed. Decide for yourself.

(Disclaimer: This is not an attack on Starbucks and their sale of sugar-free products. They are offering diabetic/diet-friendly options, and I choose to believe that the intention is positive.)

Helpful Resources:

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/aspartame.html#ARTICLES

http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/food-nutrition/facts/effects-of-artificial-sweeteners.htm

http://www.naturalnews.com/027491_aspartame_sweeteners_health.html

No comments:

Post a Comment